Director of Development
Posted on: September 18, 2022
AgeSpanFormerly Elder Services of the Merrimack Valley/North
About Us: Since 1974 our agency has strived towards supporting an
individual's desire to make their own decisions, secure their
independence and remain living independently in the community. We
are proud of our employees who make this possible every day. Our
agency is a thought-leader, a nationally known generator of new
ideas, because it welcomes creativity, your ideas. It is an
outstanding place to work stimulating, friendly, collaborative. We
offer competitive salaries, generous vacation time, and an
excellent work/life balance. We value diversity and encourage
career growth. If you have a passion for improving the lives of the
elderly community and enjoy working in a diverse team driven by its
mission, you've found the right place!
At AgeSpan, you'll find a work environment that combines:
- A refreshing culture that is supportive, collaborative, and
encouraging of diverse perspectives and backgrounds.
- A focus on innovation with a team recognized for developing and
implementing innovative programs and novel solutions.
- Encouragement of your development through opportunities to get
involved, use your voice, and gain new knowledge and skills.
- A satisfying balance between your work and personal life,
including a flexible workplace, generous paid time off, and
wellness programs.Depending on your role and your hours, we offer:
- Flexible schedule and hybrid work opportunities
- Competitive salaries
- Healthcare (medical, dental)
- 403b Retirement Plan with agency match
- 20 Vacation Days, 12 Sick Days, and 12 Paid Holidays
- Social Work Licensing Program
- License Renewal Paid by agency for RN's and Social Workers
- And MORE!
Background: AgeSpan, an area agency on aging focused on promoting
healthy aging and independence across the lifespan, is committed to
building a stronger culture of philanthropy to support the
individuals and communities we serve. We are looking for the right
partner to lead and build this work.
Position Responsibilities: The Director of Development (DOD) is
responsible for the development, implementation, coordination, and
expansion of AgeSpan's fundraising program. The DOD works closely
with the Chief Strategy Officer (CSO) and Chief Executive Officer
(CEO) to align all elements of the organization's development and
fundraising functions with our strategic plan; and ensure the
integration of the vision, core values, and culture of AgeSpan into
the overall strategy.
Essential Functions: (Core duties or tasks that are fundamental and
not marginal to the performance of the job)
- Develop and grow an internal and external culture of
philanthropy across the Agency;
- In the first 18 months, solidify a strategic plan for ongoing
development, ensuring determined strategies are consistent with the
agency's mission, vision and culture;
- Synthesize the various components of the agency's development
and philanthropy efforts, including, but not limited to, community
relations, events, donor relations, major giving, and corporate
giving; to ensure consistent and cohesive overall strategy;
- Collaborate with senior management team in advancing
departmental and agency objectives;
- Facilitate participation in development activity amongst board
and non-development staff members;
- Develop strategies and plans in coordination with the Chief
Strategy Officer (CSO) to fund the Agency's short and long-term
programs and campaigns;
- Closely monitor success of fundraising efforts to meet current
approved budget and strategic goals and implement an annual
evaluation process to inform future strategy and objectives;
- Implement systematic efforts to identify, solicit, steward,
maintain and upgrade annual giving donors and work closely with CSO
to develop partnerships with major individual, corporate, and
foundation donor prospects;
- In partnership with the Development Coordinator oversee direct
mail campaigns; coordinate seasonal donor acquisition efforts,
donor communications, and donor events; and represent the Agency at
special events and outreach activities as necessary;
- Keep current on fundraising best practices, trends, and
- Assist in budget preparation and monitor overall departmental
revenue and expense, with strong alignment and collaboration with
the agency's Fiscal team;
- Oversee collection and reporting of development related data;
- Assume other duties as assigned.
- A successful candidate should have at least a bachelor's degree
and 8-10 years development experience, ideally in a progressive
leadership role with demonstrated knowledge of crafting overall
development strategy and a track record of success.
- Experience with database oversight, reporting, and
communicating development-related data to a broad audience is a
- Experience and/or passion for working with the older adult
community is preferred.
- The candidate should also have exemplary goal-setting,
planning, and prioritization skills and be highly organized,
thoughtful and strategic with confidence in advocating for the
importance of development both internally and externally.
- A strong track record as an effective communicator, highly
skilled in writing and donor communication, as well as a broad
understanding of the technology need to managed development
efforts, is a must.
- Candidate should have a charismatic and persuasive personality
and should be authentic and open in gaining the respect and support
of a broad range of constituencies and stakeholders.
- Candidate must be skilled at cultivating relationships and
guiding staff and board members in doing the same.
- Experience in or substantial knowledge of the private, non-
profit sector is a plus.
- Knowledge of the Merrimack Valley and North Shore regions of
Massachusetts is a plus.
Hours per week : 37.5AA/EOEAgeSpan is strongly committed to
fostering a professional environment that recognizes, respects, and
encourages the unique contributions of a broad spectrum of
qualified employees. It is important that our employees reflect the
diverse communities we serve. We maintain a work atmosphere that
allows people of varied backgrounds to grow professionally and
contribute to our mission by promoting diversity, equity,
inclusion, and work-life balance.
Keywords: AgeSpan, Lawrence , Director of Development, Executive , Lawrence, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!