Director of Engineering - Power Fabrication
Posted on: March 14, 2023
Position Details: Director of Engineering - Power Fabrication
Location: Lawrence, MA Openings: 1 Salary Range: $141,000-$150,000
- The Director of Engineering plans, coordinates, and leads the
design engineering processes for the Power Fabrication Division of
- The Director will be a key member of the Manufacturing
leadership team responsible for Safety, Quality, Productivity, and
- The Director will translate customer requirements into accurate
engineering drawings guiding the profitable production of products
that comply with all customer specifications including code and
- The Engineering Department will utilize the latest in CAD
technology to prepare basic arrangement and assembly drawings and
3D models for Power Fabrication related products.
- The Director will be responsible for determining appropriate
views, sections, and orientation on drawings to ensure necessary
information is communicated in the most effective manner.
- The position will be a critical liaison between customers and
the manufacturing shop.
- Prior experience in power boilers, design and manufacturing is
essential, as is industrial knowledge of quality systems, welding
processes and standards, and metallurgy.
- The position is full time and on site at the Lawrence, MA
headquarters and requires close interaction with the Manufacturing
Shop, Field Service, and Plant Service management teams, as well as
external customers.ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The Director will manage the engineering staff to ensure that
the pre-production processes for all Power Fabrication orders
deliver accurate production plans and drawings that will result in
products that meet all customer and code requirements. The Director
works under the direction of the Manufacturing Director to lead and
participate in ongoing improvements in safety, quality, capacity,
capabilities, and revenue growth. The success of the Director will
be measured by appropriate performance indices as enumerated here,
and in the annual plan.
- The Director supports both the Manufacturing Shop and Field
Service divisions, and will require working closely with engineers,
project managers, and shop personnel. The scope of work includes
steam boiler products as well as related auxiliary equipment such
as flues and ducts, piping, fans, steel, etc.
- Additional responsibilities include assuring that drawings
prepared comply with proposal or contract specifications and
applicable standards and performing the checking function of
interferences with Helfrich Brothers and customer supplied
equipment. Verify drawing accuracy concerning such items as
dimensions, fits, and tolerances.FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Recruit, develop, and manage a strong team of design engineers
- Lead, plan, schedule, and oversee the timely development and
delivery of proposals in response to Power Fabrication business
- Establish and implement pre-production documentation and
- Provide accurate engineering drawings and specifications to
Manufacturing Shop for all production orders.
- Produce shop detail, design arrangement, and erection drawings
as required to support contracts and proposals.
- Prepare Bill of Materials for component parts for arrangement
and assembly/detail drawings.
- Timely transmittal of information for completion of all phases
- Make calculations required by code standards.
- Recommend changes in production processes to improve quality
- Establish and direct appropriate cross-functional teams in
determining ways to continually eliminate waste, increase
productivity, streamline business processes, and continuously
improve customer service levels.
- Provide for safety of all employees including implementing
established safety requirements, initiating preventative and
corrective actions, and ensuring employee training.
- Oversee all engineering projects, designs, and specifications
with regards to Power Fabrication capital projects.
- Work with the manufacturing leadership team to identify
problems in environmental, electrical, mechanical, production,
safety, tooling, and quality control areas and help develop
appropriate solutions for the same.
- Provide leadership and guidance to project teams to achieve
project and organizational goals; creates team alignment with
multiple disciplines (mechanical, electrical, civil). Direct,
schedule, and coordinate all outside contractors/vendors required
for individual production jobs while controlling costs.
- Monitor key project metrics and accurately report project
status to internal leadership and external customers.
- Some travel may be required, which entails visiting sites to
take measurements, pull drawings or other work required to support
- Strong working knowledge of ASTM, ASME, Boiler and Material
Codes and Standards with emphasis on ASME Code and non-Code
material selection, creep stress analysis, working knowledge of NDE
methods, PT, MT, UT, phased array UT, and RT.QUALIFICATIONS:
- Prefer Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering or
- 10 + Years' experience in a manufacturing environment
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- Strong verbal and communication skills
- Excellent time management and multitasking skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Microsoft Excel
Keywords: Careercrunch, Lawrence , Director of Engineering - Power Fabrication, Executive , Lawrence, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...