Apparel Innovation Developer
Company: 99Degrees Custom
Posted on: May 7, 2022
We are Makers. We make what hasn't been made before, including a
new model of US manufacturing.
Come help us make our future!
COME GROW WITH US!
This position is one of several added in conjunction with our
expansion in Lawrence!
We are looking for individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit and
willingness to roll up their sleeves to help build a future model
of US manufacturing. If you love building processes and systems,
working with a diverse and multilingual workforce, and learning how
things are made from the inside, then you would be right at home at
WHO WE ARE
Lawrence MA-based, 99Degrees was founded in 2013 to transition US
manufacturing into an advanced manufacturing industry through
speed, agility, technology and a commitment to our region and
workforce. We are a US contract manufacturer who produces technical
activewear and wearable technologies for the most forward thinking
global and high growth brands. We incubate advanced concepts,
develop, prototype and sample, and produce in the US with
unprecedented speed and agility. We have been recognized with top
prizes from MIT's Inclusive Innovation Competition, MassChallenge
and EforAll business accelerators and have been featured on NPR,
PRI, MSNBC, and in the Boston Globe.
- Innovation: We pursue technologies that benefit us all. We
change, adapt, and learn to capture and execute cutting edge and
game changing ideas. We approach challenges with
- Inclusivity: We celebrate diversity as a strength. We ensure
that we all have a voice. We foster systemic inclusivity and equal
- Integrity: We are honest, fair, and principled. We do what is
right even when it is difficult.
- Quality: We work with purpose to set new standards for our
industry, for US manufacturing, and for business.
- People: We prioritize and invest in family, community, and
wellness so that we all may pursue full and happy lives.
HOW THIS ROLE SUPPORTS OUR VISION
Technology-integrated apparel often requires state of the art and
emerging technologies using advanced materials, manufacturing
methods, equipment, and tooling solutions combined with advanced
apparel manufacturing. This position is responsible for fabricating
mock-ups, sub-assemblies, and prototype samples of advanced
concepts using sewn constructions and advanced materials including
thermal adhesives, engineered components, and embedded hardware.
Performing a critical role in the research, design for
manufacturing, and development of repeatable and saleable products;
this role ensures that advanced concept assembly and construction
methods are documented with key construction information, technical
drawings, and bill of materials that support tech transfer to
WHAT YOU'LL DO
PROTOTYPES + ADVANCED CONCEPTS
- Works in collaboration with Director of Apparel Innovation to
implement and apply apparel technologies and advanced concepts in
the production of technology-integrated apparel.
- Produce technical sketches and physical mock-ups,
sub-assemblies, and prototypes of advanced concepts based on verbal
descriptions, discussion, and reference samples.
- Produce technical sketches, documented process, and
- Verify feasibility, methods, materials, and construction of
multiple concepts at one time.
- Responsible for coordinating, organizing, and label
- Responsible for constructing tech-integrated concepts using
methods of sewing, and sew free technologies, including advanced
and technically challenging processes.
- Uses a number of machines including single needle,
serger/overlock, flatlock, coverstitch, and buttonhole machines as
well as sew free technologies including ultrasonic welding, laser
cutting, and a variety of thermal bonding machinery.
- Uses a number of machines and processes for engineered
components including tool and die making, heat pressing, mold
making and casting.
- Able and willing to learn to use machines that are new to
- Executes samples with correct construction in a timely manner
and with minimal rework.
- Trouble shoots challenging constructions and recommends best
approaches to achieving desired outcomes.
- Constructs, adjusts, and alters samples through the product
- Supports the transfer of knowledge to a team of Sample Makers
for advanced concepts.
- Works with production team and apparel sample makers to
understand construction challenges and requirements gaps.
- Provides feedback on challenges, documentation inconsistencies,
changes, questions, and recommendations to support product
improvements and targets.
- Tracks order of operations and times per operation while sample
making to help engineering quote accurately and prepare for
- Reads and follows product tech packs, graded specs and size
charts, bills of materials, and construction notes accurately and
with attention to detail.
- Ability to make recommendations to improve manufacturing,
quality, and construction according to customer-provide design
direction and product intent.
- Can identify and recommend basic pattern and advanced concept
integration adjustments to improve construction, quality, and
- Collaborate with team to solve any issues that arise with
patterns, samples, and or fabrics and trims.
- Manages, maintains, and updates 99Degrees library of samples
and mockups including construction details of advanced concepts and
technology integration concepts.
- And any other related task that the supervisor deems to be
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
Our ideal candidate will share our vision for the future of apparel
manufacturing, will be a champion of our culture and our values. We
are problem solving, collaborative, inclusive and evolving. If you
and have the following qualifications:
- 3-5 years' experience in textiles, apparel, soft goods,
technical design, and fabrication.
- BA/BS/BFA Degree in apparel design, textiles, industrial design
or similar field.
- Experience sewing, pattern making, and advanced apparel
- Experience sewing on industrial sewing machinery or willing to
- Experience developing technology integrated functional apparel
with features such as: thermal adhesives, engineered components,
and embedded hardware, sensors, and electronics.
- Knowledge of garment construction and the product development
- Ability to read and understand tech packs, customer
construction notes, and understands sewing terminology.
- Present portfolio or work samples.
- Works collaboratively with excellent technical leadership,
problem solving, communication and organization skills.
- Extensive computer experience including but not limited to
Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Word, Excel,
Optitex and/or Gerber, CLO3D and/or Browzwear.
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills in a
fast-paced multilingual environment.
- Proactive, resourceful, and detail oriented. Process oriented
- Willing to wear multiple hats and to work outside job
description, if needed.
- Bilingual (Spanish and English).
99Degrees Custom is an equal opportunity employer and complies with
all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices
laws. 99Degrees Custom strictly prohibits and does not tolerate
discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered
persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age,
national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual
orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of
disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment,
including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion,
discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of
Keywords: 99Degrees Custom, Lawrence , Apparel Innovation Developer, Other , Lawrence, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!